Phil Hogan – Commissioner-designate for Agriculture and Rural Development (nominated by Ireland) – had to answer a number of difficult questions during his hearing by the European Parliament’s Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development (AGRI) on 2 October. Hogan’s answers to these 5 toughest questions reveal best how he managed to handle the parliamentary grilling:
– How are you going to simplify the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP)?
– What can you tell us about the implementation of the European Union Nitrate Directive which is putting drinking water in jeopardy?
– Are you going to activate the agricultural crisis reserve to assist farmers worst hit by the Russian ban?
– About 20% of farmers receive some 80% of CAP payments. Are you going to ensure greater convergence in direct aid for smaller farmers?
– How are you going to address the need for generational renewal in the agricultural sector?