applications: 1 May 2014
Open to: international students
Dates & Venue: 7-19 July 2014 (one week in Brussels and one week in Vienna)
Every year in July, the Institute for European Studies (IES) teams up with the University of Vienna and the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna to organise the inter-university Summer School on European Policy-making. The intensive two-week programme is held one week in Brussels and one week in Vienna.
Two weeks of intensive study on the European decision-making process, geared towards students that have a background in (international) politics and/or (European) law. As of 2012, the Summer School corresponds to 5 ECTS-credits.
The first week of studies will take place in the heart of Europe, i.e. at the Institute for European Studies of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, where the theory of the decision-making process can be translated into practice. Students will get a theoretical framework linked to study visits to the European Commission, the Parliament, and the Council. This is complemented with a second week of study/workshop at the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna, in collaboration with the University of Vienna, with a focus in European Law, Foreign and Monetary Policies. The Summer School will be concluded with simulation exercises involving all participants.
· Packed with lectures, study visits and simulation games, this programme attracts students and young professionals who wish to broaden their knowledge of the European institutions, European law and the European decision-making process in general.
· Aside from being a valuable asset in professional life in general, the Summer School has proven to be a great help in preparing for the EU competitions to select future officials.
The tuition fee is divided into three categories and has been set at €1395, €1695 and €1995.
· 1395 EUR: current students from Albania, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, the Russian Federation, Serbia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan;
· 1695 EUR: current students from the EU or EHEA;
· 1695 EUR: applicants from the EU and EHEA graduated after 2011;
· 1995 EUR: students outside the EU or EHEA;
· 1995 EUR: all applicants graduated before 2011.
The tuition fee includes: daily breakfast and lunch in Brussels and Vienna, travel from Brussels to Vienna on Sunday 13 July 2014 by plane, and study visits. Students paying before 10 May 2014 receive a 100 Euros discount.
It does not include: accommodation, evening meals, return flight and extra nights in Brussels or Vienna.
recommend that you to register for our additional accommodation programme both
in Brussels and in Vienna. We do understand, however, that
people currently living in Brussels or Vienna may not want to
make use of this option.
Tuition waiver (reduced fee application)
The Institute for European Studies will grant a limited amount of tuition waivers, amounting to a reduced tuition fee. These reductions can only be attributed to full-time students (not to applicants who already work). Although stipends are in general, but not exclusively, granted to students from economically less advanced countries, they will be attributed on the basis of merit and motivation. If you think you may be eligible for such a reduction, you will need to provide:
· a clear motivation letter (to be handed in together with your application);
· a recommendation letter from one of your professors; and
a copy of your
academic record (transcripts of records,...).
The deadline for applications is 1 May 2014. Selection is at the discretion of the organisers. A maximum of 35 students will be selected based on study background, educational merit and geographic balance.
To apply, click . While filling in the online application form, you will have the possibility to resume the application at any time, via a link sent to your e-mail account. Please note that changes can not be made once the form has been submitted.
The results of the selection committee will be announced by 9 May 2014 by email.
If you have any questions, contact the organisers at: email@example.com